Do you have a playlist of songs that just pumps you up?
You know what I’m talking about. Maybe you’re having a great day and the sun is out. You put the windows down and crank it up as you drive along.
If you’re a runner or are working your way to becoming one, I consider a great playlist a must. When the training runs get long, you need that little something that picks you up and gives you that extra push.
Sure, you will meet people that don’t listen to music when they run. In fact, some races don’t allow the use of earbuds to even listen to your favorite playlist. But, I’m not here to tell you that.
I’ve used the songs below to train for five half marathons and one marathon. All of these songs (plus about 30 more) made it to my playlist for the 2015 Philadelphia Marathon. And if there was ever a time I needed motivation, it was running for 5 hours that day!
The playlist of songs below are rather eclectic. It spans my love for country music and 90’s rock. Yes, I’m a bit nostalgic.
But, these songs work. They are great running songs. I share them here because I used them and I believe that you can benefit from adding these songs to your playlist. When the training runs get long, you need a pick me up.
Here’s the Best Half Marathon Playlist
- Eye of the Tiger by Survivor
- Country Girl (Shake It For Me) by Luke Bryan
- Somewhere with You by Kenny Chesney
- Snow (Hey Oh) by Red Hot Chili Peppers
- Tell Me Baby by Red Hot Chili Peppers
- My Own Worst Enemy by Lit
- 5-1-5-0 by Dierks Bentley
- Viva La Vida by Coldplay
- Move Along by All American Rejects
- How Far We’ve Come by Matchbox 20
- I Don’t Want This Night to End by Luke Bryan
- Drink to That All Night by Jerrod Niemann
- I Hold On by Dierks Bentley
- Bottoms Up by Brantley Gilbert
- Jump by Van Halen
- Lola Montez by Volbeat
- Shut Up and Dance with Me by Walk The Moon
- Send Me On My Way by Rusted Root
- Propane Nightmares by Pendulum
- Just Getting’ Started Tonight by Jason Aldean
- Cruise by Florida Georgia Line
- Somebody Told Me by The Killers
- That’s My Kind of Night by Luke Bryan
- Disease by Matchbox 20
- Unforgiven II by Metallica
- Spaceman by The Killers
- Uprising by Muse
- Apologize by One Republic
- One Headlight by The Wallflowers
- Long Hot Summer by Keith Urban
- (I Just) Died in Your Arms Tonight by Cutting Crew
- Chillin’ It by Cole Swindell
- Red Dirt Road by Brooks & Dunn
- Burnin’ It Down by Jason Aldean
- Read My Mind by The Killers
- Counting Stars by One Republic
Find a Playlist that Works for You
So, there you have it. My playlist of kick-ass, pick you up songs. Sure, they may not all be your cup of tea. That’s fine.
That said, I like to share whatever I do as a way to motivate and inspire you. You some of the playlist, all of it, or none of it. It doesn’t matter to me.
The point is that you find something that works for you. Even more, I want you to get out there and enjoy you’re running time. It’s some of the best moments of my life. And I know you will feel the same way if you give yourself a chance.
What do you have on your playlist? What songs are an absolute must for you to listen to during each workout or run? Tell us below.